Saturday, March 15, 2008

3.11.08 FBT

As promised, more info about my new home. I guess I should explain the way training works for those of you who are a bit confused. First, all 46 of us were living in Santa Lucia, having Spanish classes and general PC classes. Then on Sunday, each project [there are 3 in my training class, Health, Water & Sanitation, and Business] went to a different city for FBT [Field Based Training] and that is where we will stay for 6 weeks. Then on April 20th we will all return to Santa Lucia for another 2 or so weeks to process FBT, find out where we will be living for the next 2 years [called Site Announcement] and have the formal swearing in ceremony. Then on May 3rd is when I will be moving for the last time to my actual site. Hope that all makes sense…

Anyway…here I am at my new house in Yarumela, which is a little aldea outside of La Paz, which is about 2 hours west of Tegus. The population here is almost 4,000 so it’s a decent sized town but there are few things here…as in no Internet access, cafes, market, etc. Everyone goes to La Paz or Comayagua [another town about 20 minutes away] to do any actual business. I like living more campo-style…its good for me. My shower is freezing cold and despite the heat here…I doubt I will get used to it completely. Other than having a serious problem with the mosquitoes –loving- me…I have no complaints about living here. J My new host family is super sweet…my mom is Maria Dolores but everyone calls her Lolita. She and her husband Carlos, have 5 children but they are all grown and have their own children, which translates into 10 grandchildren, 2 of who live with us, Karen who is 13 and Josuye who is 14.

Semana Santa is next week so we only have classes until Wednesday and then 4 days off. Training is going well…they put me in the Advanced Spanish class which has been interesting. The truth is, I’m right in between the Intermediate and Advanced classes so I’m in a bit of a sticky situation. But I’m sure everything will work out fine. I like being with the Advanced…even though I know I make the most mistakes, everyone helps me and I feel like I really learn in that class. I’m sure there is more to share, but my throat is a little sore and I need to get some sleep.

No comments: