Monday, June 1, 2009

Earthquake!

So no worries everyone...I was in Tegus when the earthquake hit and I slept right through it. Thanks to everyone that called to make sure I am okay, it is much appreciated!

Last week was spent traveling. Shawn and I went up to La Ceiba for Carnaval [their fair which is quite famous and well-known for being crazy fun.] He has some siblings that live up there so we stayed with his brother which was a lot of fun. It's always better when you stay at a house as opposed to a hotel. We saw the parade on Saturday and then went out to dinner and dancing with some volunteers that night. Shopping, trips to the beach, and playing with Shawn's nieces filled the rest of my trip, which was much needed.

Then I headed to Tegus for Midterm Meds aka trip to the doctor for all the health volunteers in my group. I am happy to say that I am 100% healthy...no parasites, cavitives, etc. Yay! It was good to see other volunteers and some Honduran friends that live in Tegus. I got to do some shopping which is always fun, even on my PC budget!

Today is my first day back at work in a week, so it feels good but I also feel lost, so much happened while I was gone [like usual.] Doris is starting a nutrition recuperation project in 6 different communities and I told her that I am more than available and willing to help so I am looking forward to that. I also have my youth group that meets every Tuesday, we are slowly but surely working to give an HIV charla in the high school. My PC boss also asked me to help with 2 big projects while I was in Tegus.

1] I am now the point person for the HIV training that takes place with each group of volunteers during training. This means I will be responsible for coordinating the logistics for training as well as working on editing and improving the manual.

2] I have been asked to assist on a new project called "Quality of Life" which will basically cover a variety of topics related to Maternal/Child Health such as Hygiene, Family Gardens, Nutrition, Weighing Children, etc. The PC Health project wants to put together a workshop in the end of September so I will be helping with that.

I am really excited about both projects because I think given my experience here, I have a lot of offer and contribute. It's nice when your skills are recognized!

Today is JUNE 1st which I almost can't believe. I -know- I still have a year left [less now, 11 months!!] but I always think about my service only being til the end of 2009 because really the last 4 months in 2010 are going to -fly- by.

Who ever knew 2 years could flash before your eyes?

1 comment:

Momma said...

Great to hear about your travels and the exciting new projects for you to "leave your mark" on.... I'm a proud mother and miss you! Besos sweet Andi...