Wednesday, May 7, 2008

5.7.08 Official PCV

First of all, I want to start this entry by saying

¡Feliz Cumpleaños Mama!

Its my Mom’s 37th birthday today so everyone should wish her a good one! Hehe.

Now that my daughterly obligations have been fulfilled…my 2nd order of business is to announce that I am now an official Peace Corps Volunteer! See look…


That is me at the swearing in ceremony, posing with the US flag and the Honduran flag in the background. Pretty cool eh? So last Friday we all got gussied up and went to the US Embassy in Tegus for the ceremony. All the staff was there as we promised to protect the US Constitution against enemies and to fulfill our duties and whatnot. It was a really amazing experience, it made me realize what an important task and service it is that we are all taking on. I mean, before we were just trainees, but 44 of us made it through and now we are volunteers. I am so proud of all of us! We had some delicious tacos for lunch and the next thing I knew, it was time to bid farewell to our wonderful staff. I kept it together as I gave bunches of abrazos and besitos to the amazing team that I have befriended and learned so much from over the past 11 weeks. Then I had to say goodbye to Victor, our logistician, and I had tears running down my face. However PC Honduras finds and selects their staff, I commend them. I was continually blown away at how supportive, caring, and helpful every single staff member is. The beautiful thing is that I still have 2 years in this country to see all these people that I now call my friends as well as my colleagues.

After the ceremony we went to the Ambassador’s house and swam which was fantastic. Then we all spent one last night together before having to head our separate ways. Naturally this caused me to cry again…I am such a wimp.

Which leads me to now…sitting on my bed in El Negrito typing this blog. Emelina (my sitemate, who is wat-san) and I just got back from a sanitation conference in Santa Barbara which was definitely a learning experience. I am helping nurse Reina vaccinate tomorrow (which I love doing) and I am getting an official tour of the town, including the schools, on Friday from Mario (who works at WorldVision.) We went and met the director of the all girls school on Monday and he is totally excited and ready for us to come in and work with the students. Things just keep getting better…

More pictures to come when I have the patience!!

3 comments:

Momma said...

Thank you for my birthday wishes! That does make me quite young when you were born... but who's counting? Thank you also for the call this morning, it's always great to hear from you! What a beautiful picture of you! Yep, it's going in the album. Have fun with your nurse,... hoping I can work with her when we come... besitos, besitos for you sweet Andi. I love you and am very proud of you.. congratulations on your terrific accomplishment, at least this is one good thing my taxes are helping... to support you in your work. It's time for you to make your mark. Love, Momma

Anonymous said...

OMGeee, now you have one of those cheesy photos for the fireplace ;)
Two words come to mind: so proud.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that you are a wimp for crying, look at me! HE HE! You look so beautitul in that picture, and that shirt looks awfully familiar.....We must go shopping for new clothes when I see you! BESOS!