Friday, May 16, 2008

5.16.08 Friday Already?!?!

Peace Corps seems to spend a decent amount of time reminding all the future volunteers how difficult it is when you first get to site. They talk about how you need to be patient and integrate into your community and that things will probably be pretty slow and quite possibly boring at first. You need to just stick it out and realize that it takes time to integrate and get projects started. I had mentally prepared myself to spend a lot of time reading, journaling and integrating.

Well maybe it’s a fluke, but I have been so busy these past 2 weeks. The days have gone by so fast, I can’t believe that it is Friday. A run down of the week included:

-A trip to the Bilingual school and the Nutritional Center on Tuesday. I got to help teach kids English in the morning and then play with babies in the afternoon. It was a wonderful day. (Since when do I love kids so much? Creepy!) By the time I left the school in the morning, all the kids were yelling my name and giving me hugs. And I absolutely fell in love with one of the boys at the Nutritional Center, I call him mi principe. It was definitely my favorite day this week.

-I spent Wednesday morning in the back of a pick up truck as we climbed up into the mountains to the village of La Laguna to vaccinate kids. I also ate the –most delicious- eggs, beans, rice and tortillas ever. Every day I am amazed at the hospitality of the people here, it is so beautiful. Then we went to Las Minitas to relax in the water. I got in for free because I went there so much last week. That –is- a good thing, right? Haha. I also ate a total of 9 tortillas that day. A new record for me.

-Thursday I was at WorldVision all day helping the librarian, Wilda. I translated some suggestions about how to start and run a library for her. And then I started on an inventory of the books. She is the sweetest woman I have ever met and I am so blessed to call her not only my co-worker, but also my friend. We are supposed to plan some charlas for the beauty school in town. I want to take her with me to the Abstinence Workshop we have in June. Then last night I had a meeting with the committee that is planning the marathon (fundraiser) for the nutritional center, which is going to be June 22nd. I am really excited to be a part of the planning, it makes me feel like I am really helping. I also made friends with some more locals, which is always awesome.

-That all brings me to today, where somehow it is already noon (I actually got to sleep in today, it was wonderful.) I am going to do some yoga, go eat lunch at my favorite comedor, stop by and Internet, and spend the rest of the afternoon relaxing in the hammock. I think I deserve it. :)

2 comments:

Momma said...

Wow, what a week! And, I doubt that anyone who knows you is surprised at how quickly you have integrated in your new community. I can "see" you smiling.... hoping you can "see" mine too. Hugs and love for you sweet Andi! Momma

Anonymous said...

I wanna hammock! Good to hear that you are staying busy and not bored.