Tuesday, May 27, 2008

5.24.08 Body Issues Part II…but I heart frijoles

I was feeling pretty excited, and quite frankly a bit of pride at the fact that I had not had any serious stomach issues since arriving in country. Especially considering the ill fate of some of my fellow PCV’s and my willingness to eat pretty much anything here. That luck ran out about 2 weeks ago.

I won’t go into the gory details but lets just say many days passed without anything ‘solid’ and an awful lot of ‘knives in my gut’ stomach pains. It was shitty [pun intended, sorry Mom!] I talked to the Doctor at the health center and she informed me that I had amoebas crawling around in my stomach. She gave me some pills and things have been calm every since…-knocks on wood-

Surprisingly, my body is pretty happy. Fungus, bug bites and diarrhea are all at bay for the moment. Let’s hope it stays that way!

Somehow the weekend managed to creep up on me again. This must be a sign that time is going by quickly here. It reminds me that I must absorb and appreciate every moment that I have here because I am sure that with a blink of my eyes, these 2 years are going to be over, sadly. There are many mornings still where I wake up and think to myself ‘Wow…I am living in Honduras as a PCV…’ almost like it’s a dream.

Things are macanudo as always…this week was filled with finishing the vaccine campaign [yay!], playing with the kids at the Nutritional Center, seeing my future house [one word: amazing!], and a visit from my project manager, Helmuth. It was good for him to see me in my environment and he had great things to say about me integrating and the work I am doing.

I got to catch up with Joel last night which was awesome. Today I learned how to cook beans Honduran style and ate delicious baleadas with guacamole for dinner. Yes, be jealous because that’s right, my life rocks. =)

1 comment:

Momma said...

I'm smiling ear to ear.... hope you can feel it! I love you! Momma