Tuesday, September 2, 2008

09.02.08 Work Hard, Play Hard

Another month gone by…and suddenly its September. I know I haven’t been very vigilant about updating, so here goes nothing:

-The Obstetrics Emergencies workshop in Gracias went really well. It’s a cute town and it was really good to see some of my friends and meet some new PCV’s. The nurse and midwife from my town enjoyed themselves as well and we are going to replicate the training we received here in El Negrito. A group of us went to the Hot Springs the last night in town which was a nice way to end the trip.
-I spent last week with groups of campo women and their children in different communities in the area. Along with 2 other WorldVision employees, we showed the women how to make nutritious food using local products. We cooked together, side by side, and made delicious sopa de frijoles con arroz, junyapa guisado, and this really delicious desert of cooked bananas, milk, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon.
-Trudy, the Country Director for PC Honduras came to visit Emelina and I last Friday which was a plesant surprise. We had lunch together and we had a nice talk at my house. She offered some good insight on some of my recent frustrations. She also brought me the check with my PEPFAR funds so we can start making purchases for the Exposida.
-I finally threw my long awaited housewarming party on Friday which was a definite success. We ate, danced and drank and everyone seemed to have a really good time. I love being a host and having my house full of people. The following night I was invited to a quincenera (15th birthday party, big deal in Latin culture.) The birthday girl was the niece of my friend’s wife so I was completely flattered that they invited me. I wore my adorable new dress and got to practice my merengue and punta dance moves.

I have an incredibly next 10 days of traveling that I will fill you all in on when I return. Also, less than 3 months until I get to come home for Thanksgiving! Yay!

1 comment:

Momma said...

Hi Sweetie,... I'm so touched to hear the director hand delivered your grant monies to you! Wow you make us proud parents! It must have been fun sharing your home with her. Can't wait to hear about your travels this week and how your previous host families are doing! Congrats on training the PCTs.... show them the way girl! Besos, besos, Love, Momma