Thursday, February 28, 2008

Champion Domino Player

Oh yes, that’s right. I successfully beat my 9 year old nephew at Dominos last night. The victory was sweet but probably short lived as I believe a rematch is in the near future. Regardless, I take every chance possible to let everyone know that –I- was the ganadora against Mario. Mwhahaha. Who knew I loved kids so much…

The highlight of the weekend was definitely our hike to the radio antennas, which reside on top of a large hill [mountain perhaps?] outside Santa Lucia. About 12 PCT’s went, which initially terrified me, given my lack of hiker-esque ability. But luckily I had some awesome company who stopped with me every time I needed to catch my breath. The climb was completely worthy though…

(oops, pictures to come...sorry!!)

Yeah…that’s Tegucigalpa looking beautiful. As it turns out though, Tegus is not only stunning from afar, but also up close…except more in a “Ohmigod this city is huge and crowded and there are cars and people everywhere, watch out for that bus!!” way. I got to experience the latter on Monday when we took a language class fieldtrip to a mercardo in the city. It definitely made me appreciate my adorable pueblo. Obviously there are no photos, as I was told to not even wear my $10 watch on the trip. I haggled with a Senora for papas and platanos which I bought for my Momma Hondurena. We wandered around the center of town and I splurged on a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendy’s [!!!] and eventually we found our way to the Peace Corps Office, which was pretty surreal to see. Makes me realize that I am definitely a part of something bigger…finally.

I found out today that I will be in the city of Santa Barbara for my volunteer visit, which happens this Sunday. It’s 4 hours northwest from here [Mom, I’m pretty sure its on the map…look south of San Pedro Sula.] I’m looking forward to meeting a PCV and seeing what their day to day life is like.

I just realized that its almost 11pm so e-mail and the phototour of Santa Lucia will have to wait. Miss you all!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andi,

I love getting to read about everything you are doing.I hope one day I can do something like what you are doing.You really are doing something that matters.Anyways keep this thing updated.... i miss you and hope things are going great!Love you girl!!

Momma said...

Congrats on your win at dominos! Glad you made it to Tegus. When are you cooking for your Momma? Yes, I'll place a pin on the map. Besos for you sweet Andi..miss you and love you!

The Duchess said...

Hi AC. Sounds like you had an excruciating hike, and then rewarded your self! I can't wait to look on the map to see exactly where you will be. And thank you for starting to post pictures, I can't wait to see more of them. Is it very time consuming to post them? And since I doubt I will hear your sweet voice today... Happy White Rabbit Day! Miss you, Love you, Nikkers