Thursday, July 30, 2009

San Jose

I spent the last 6 out of 8 days in the most amazing location and having the most wonderful time.


Was I basking on the beaches of the Bay Islands you ask? Or perhaps visiting the magnificent Mayan ruins in Copan?


Nope...I was simply in San Jose, an aldea about 30 minutes away from El Negrito...a community of about 1,000 people where there is no electricity or cell phone service...and I had the time of my life. I stayed with my good friend and co-worker Zolia with her 4 daughters and her mother. Each morning we woke up, had coffee and sweet bread and then hiked an hour and a half up a mountain to arrive in Cerro Prieto, where we are implementing the Olla Comun project. We gave the training to the mothers last week and after the blood and stool exams are done, we will start cooking. Hopefully I can go back and help Zolia for a few days during the 12 day process.

When we weren't working, we played cards and danced and cooked and watched soccer games in the field in town. I never thought it was possible to feel so at peace and relaxed. I ended up heading back up there on Friday to give a workshop on respiratory infections and then stayed the weekend to go to a cultural night thrown by a youth group that does theatre [the guys who head the group are brothers and 2 of the coolest, most down to earth people I've ever met.] Sunday I spent the whole day in the kitchen, making tortillas and all sorts of other delicious things. I finally headed down the mountain last night and was teased by my neighbors about being "perdida" [lost.]

All in all, another great week. Life is -so- beautiful.

Ah, y quien me escribio el mensaje en mi ultimo post? No dejo su nombre!!!

4 comments:

Momma said...

Thank you for taking us on the journey with you! I love you and miss you! Besos for you sweet Andi.

Anonymous said...

¿Por qué es importante y yo pensé que eras adventourous?
Dulce como los dulces y, sin embargo, fuerte como Tequila ¡No!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment!! Let me know how much you LOVE the foam roller!!

Unknown said...

Any chance I can get your email and ask you some questions about running?!